The word SEO has become a fun term, as most of the Webmasters claim themselves are SEO Experts. They might be right or it can be considered as a show-off. Because, seriously there isn’t any specific metric that is considered as an eligibility criteria to be recognized as an SEO Expert, of course there are few certifications from Google and other sources like Adwords Certification, PPC, etc., which are considered. Some webmasters without holding any of these certificates, work on various strategies and make sure that they rank high on Search Engines. The strategies for ranking terms varies on many factors like Competition, Niche, Authority, Optimization, Social Impact and many more.
To get better SERP rankings for your website, creating more back hyperlinks for your site is very essential. The fact is to get top rankings for your sites you need to have good On-page SEO. But, some people have neglected the significance of On-page SEO, while some have over used it and it is because of their over Optimization techniques, Google has rolled out Penguin.There are few plugins like Easy WP SEO, SEO Pressor, etc., helped people to get aware of some of the most important On-Page SEO elements, but seriously I don’t think that taking help of these plugins does help us to Optimize our Website, in the way that Google Loves. Most of the On-Page factors that these plugins suggest the webmaster to use are slightly outdated and you cannot use them anymore as Google is getting serious about the Over Optimization aspect. They provide like 25 – 40% of Optimization support.
The above image provides 60% of Major On-Page factors that you need to consider in order to gain trust from Google as well as to reach decent SERPs.
Yet another reason for Google Penguin Over Optimization, update was because of Niche Blogs/Micro Niche Blogs. These blogs are designed in such a way that they manipulate the Search Engines and get ranked pretty easily by using EMDs, Keyword Stuffing, etc. and are only meant for making money, but not for sharing knowledge. Google believe that these short blogging format has reached the saturation point and decided to control their flow as the situation is getting diluted and every webmaster is getting attracted to these unethical things. Obviously, if you are able to earn $50/day on handing 3 – 5 Niche/Micro Niche blogs by just writing 1 post/week, then who the hell does like to work really hard on building an high Authority blog with reader base and other aspects.Most of them are attracted towards short and sweet results, instead of long-term and reliable results. But, yes Google failed to build trust among the webmasters on this aspect. As, you might have studied that few of the Top blogs got hit by Panda/Penguin updates. So, most of the bloggers are currently relying on multiple sources as they aren’t aware of what’s going to happen.
It is very important to focus on this particular aspect, and here are some of the important On-page SEO methods that your website can’t survive without on 2013.
#1. Keyword Density
- Make sure you maintain keyword density between 0.8 – 1.2% and never ever try to use the same word more than 9 times in an article/post.
- It is always suggested to make use of lateral keywords, that diversify the density and makes you article look pretty natural.
- Placement of keywords also plays an important role and it is not mandatory to place it in first and last paragraph of your post body, it’s just a myth.
#2. Use Relevant Titles
- Internet marketing experts argue that the importance of “title tag” has reduced. But, Meta tags still get in getting better rankings, though they can’t do much alone.
- Always keep the target keyword phrase in the title tag, and don’t keep an irrelevant title.
- However, it’s necessary to mix it up, and keep several combinations of keyword phrases in the title tag, and not just target a single keyword.
- Every title must be unique, and remember that people always look for catchy tiles when they do a quick Google search.
- Meta tag information is a powerful tool to easily get top rankings for the websites.
- Web marketers tend to target a long target keyword in the Meta keyword field and drive lot of traffic for these keywords without proper content in the web pages.
- But, that’s certainly not the way to go – you should include only relevant meta tags, and try to rank for them.
#4. Making Proper Use of Header Tags
- Header tags can help in formatting the content properly, and placing the keywords smartly can also help in boosting the SERP rankings. Headlines tags include H1-H6 tags;
- H1 is the most significant tag, and should be used only for highlighting the most important information in a web page.
- For good SEO, you need to make use of H3 and H2 tags for sub-headings and include only one H1 tag to your page with the main keyword.
- Include a couple of H2-H3 tags as combinations of primary keyword for better rankings.
- I currently use only H3 tags, as I feel like over using H1/H2 tags won’t help much these days.
#5. Other Ways of Targeting the Keywords Smartly
- There are many ways of telling the Google crawlers that particular keyword phrases in the articles are important than rest of it.
- So, if you do that, Google would carefully watch on them, thus giving ranking to for those terms.
- You can underline or bold the important words on the web page to highlight them.
- This can help the readers in finding the essence of a web page, and also assist in improve the On-Page SEO at the same time.
- Out-Linking of the keyword, is also considered as major On-Page factor. Try giving back-link for authority to some of the Top sites in your niche or you can also link to some other related page in your blog.
- While interlinking the web pages, using different combinations of keywords as the anchor text can be a great way too.
#6. Leaving No Dead Pages on Your Site
- If a particular web page is neither linked nor from any other web page, then basically it’s a dead page, which won’t be easily discovered by the search engine bots either.
- Never ever neglect them.
There are many more secret and high-value On-Page SEO Optimization techniques, I’ll be discussing in detail about them on how they are going to work and the impact they have on SERPs.